Skilled Independent Visa Subclass 189
The skilled independent visa (subclass 189) is a permanent point based visa for skilled workers who are not sponsored by an employer, state or territory or a family member.
To be eligible to apply for this visa you must have first submitted an Expression of Interest (EOI) trough the SkillSelect system and have received an invitation to apply from the Department of Immigration And Citizenship.
The basic requirements you need to meet to apply for the visa are:
- Be invited to apply.
- Be less than 50 years of age at the time of the invitation.
- Nominate an occupation from the Skilled Occupation List.
- Have suitable skill assessment for your nominated occupation.
- Have a minimum level of Competent English.
- At least 60 points on the point test.
- Meet the health and character requirements.
- Meet the Australian Values requirement.
The invitations for visa applications are based on the claims made in the EOI . Upon receiving an invitation, you have 60 days to submit your application online with all the supporting documents. The documents must be relevant and support the claims made in the EOI.
Your partner, dependent children or relatives can also be included in your application.
The Skilled Independent Visa is subject to priority processing dates. The time for receiving the results of your application is connected to the group your application is assigned to.
After 1 July 2012, there have been some additional changes that the Skilled Independent Visa is subject to when application is made through the SkillSelect system:
- Locations of the applicant is not relevant if an invitation has been received by the applicant.
- The Australian Study or Recent work experience is removed.
- No prerequisite visa (e.g. student visa) will be required before applying for the Skilled Independent Visa.
For the full list of changes applicable to this visa, please find more information here.