Remaining Relative Visa
Remaining Relative Visas are for remaining near relatives (family members) of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen who wishes to sponsor them.
There are limited places for this type of visa, and there is a long processing queue. It is a low priority visa and in the Family visas range a higher priority is given to partner & child visas, as well as carer visa.
Applications can be made in or outside of Australia. We can assist you in choosing the right visa to apply for, based on your personal circumstances and situation.
Who can apply for the Remaining Relative Visa Subclass 835 (Onshore) or Subclass 115 (Offshore)?
Applicants for this Visa must be sponsored by an eligible relative (or the partner of your eligible relative) in Australia.
You can apply for this visa:
- if you are a sister, brother, child, parent or step-equivalent (step-brother) to an Australian permanent resident, eligible New Zealand citizen or an Australian citizen;
- if you have the assurance of support;
- the Australian resident must be your sponsor and be at least 18 years old;
- if you and your spouse don’t have any other relatives than those who live in Australia;
- if you are under 18 and have been adopted by an Australian permanent resident, Australian citizen or eligible New Zealand citizen, and your adoptive parent must have spent the required 1 year (12 months) living overseas with you.
Near relative is defined as a parent, sister, brother or step equivalent of the applicant or the applicant’s spouse, child (step child) of the applicant or the applicant’s spouse who is over and under 18 years.
When applying for this visa you must meet the health and the character requirements. In the application you can include other family members or your partner, but only if they meet certain requirements.
What this visa allows you to do:
As a permanent residency visa, this allows the holder to:
- Live and work in Australia, with no restrictions
- Study in Australia
- Apply for Medicare
- Apply for Australian citizenship
- Sponsor other family members for certain visas
Sponsorship, Nomination and Visa Charges can be found here.