Student Visas

Obtaining an Australian Student Visa can provide you with many benefits. Besides the valuable knowledge from Australian Education Institutions and Improving your English Language Proficiency, you have the right to work legally in Australia.

Applying for Student Visa may also act as a prospective approach to get temporary or permanent residency in Australia.

Advantages of applying for student visa

Student Visas in Australia can be an extension of your education in one of the most quality education systems in the world. A student visa can be extended multiple times until the end of your course or studies. Through the acquired knowledge and skills during your education in Australia, you can apply for permanent residency qualifying through the Australian Permanent Residency point system.That way Australia is attracting highly qualified and experienced experts.

Student Visas allow unlimited number of entries and departures from Australia while the visa is valid.Since the duration of the educational training in Australia is shorter than many programs in other countries, you can save a substantial amount of time and costs associated with it.

Receiving a student visa to Australia. Rights to work in Australia

Until 26 April 2008, Working Permits for Student Visas were issued after commencement of studies in The Job Type of Immigration and Citizenship of Australia’s offices or Online.

For all Student Visas granted After 26 April 2008, The Job Type of Immigration and Citizenship of Australia have simplified the procedure for issuing work permits, and they are now automatically attached on the student visa. So, there is no need to complete additional documents to obtain a work permit.

Family members which accompany the students also have the right to work.

Higher Education Students, as before, can work up to 20 hours a week(or 40 hours per fortnight) and during breaks between semesters – up to 40 hours (full time).

Post Graduate & Masters Students can work unlimited hours per week.

Family members and dependents attached to the Student Visa in undergraduate programs can also work up to 20 hours a week, and without work restrictions for in master’s programs or doctor’s degree.

All studentsand their family members attached to their student visa can only start working after the student commences their course.

How can I get a student visa?

Your application for a student visa is assessed in accordance to the legal requirements for assessing the level within the visa subclass. Your Assessment Level is determined by the country of your passport, and the course you will be undertaking.

To find out the Assessment Level applicable to you, you need to match the nationality of your passport with the visa subclass for the education sector’s of your course’s within this document.

The higher level the assessment is,the greater amount of evidence documents you will need to provide in order to obtain a student visa.

The lowest Student Visa Assessment Level isAssessment Level 1 and the highest Assessment Level 5.

If your level of assessment is 2, 3, 4 or 5, your first student visa can only be obtained while outside of Australia.

Course Packaging

If you have your main course of study packaged with a preliminary course, your student visa application will be evaluated under the visa subclass for your fundamental (main) course of study showed on the application and at the Highest Assessment Level of courses in your designated package (with exception of  ELICOS course within the package).

You might also be eligible for streamlined visa processing.

To be eligible for streamlined visa processing, you must provide documentation (evidence) for confirmation of enrollment from the university where you are accepted to in an eligible course, at the time of your visa application. Eligible courses include Bachelor, Master and Doctorate degrees.

Candidates under the Streamlined Visa Processing (SVP) Program are evaluated as a lower migration risk (similar to Assessment Level 1 applicants).

Student Visa Conditions

The most common Student Visa Conditions and Restrictions are:

  • Restriction not to work until the course has commenced or work permit is granted.
  • Once work permit is obtained, only 20 hours a week are permitted during semesters.
  • Course Requirements & Attendance must be satisfied.
  • The education provider must not be changed for the first 12 months.
  • Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) must be maintained during studies.
  • Change of address must be given to the education provider within 7 days.

General Requirements

General requirements you must meet include that:

  • You must be of good character.
  • You must be of sound health.
  • You must have acceptable Australian Health Insurance.
  • You must not have any outstanding debts to Australia or any of the Commonwealth Countries, or have made arrangements to repay such debts.
  • If you’re under 18 years of age, acceptable arrangements for your accommodation, support and general welfare.
  • If you are in Assessment Level 2,3, or 5, when you apply from outside of Australia, you must provide exceptional reasons to justify the grant of your Student Visa.

Visa sub classes in the education sector

There are 7 different types of student visas. The sub classes are based on the education sector of your main course:

  • 570 – Independent ELICOS
  • 571 – Schools
  • 572 – Vocational Education and Training
  • 573 –Higher Education
  • 574 – Postgraduate Research
  • 575 – Non-Award
  • 576 – AusAID or Defense

Default Assessment Level 2 Applicants:

All students sponsored by AusAID or Defence seeking Subclass 576 (AusAID or Defense Sector) visas are Assessment Level 2.

Students with a passport that is not listed in the Assessment table, with a main course of study in subclass 574 (Postgraduate Research) sector are Assessment Level 2.

Default Assessment Level 3 Applicants:

Students with a passport that is not listed in the Assessment table, with a main course of study in the following education sectors are Assessment Level 3 by default:

  • 570 – Independent ELICOS
  • 571 – Schools
  • 572 – Vocational Education and Training
  • 573 – Higher Education
  • 575 – Non-Award.

All Student Visas Applications

Post Graduate Visa

This is a basic requirement for each temporary or permanent visa. You must be of good character, with no police records in any of the previous countries you have lived in.

read more
Higher Education Visa

Australia has a great quality higher education system offering a wide range of highly regarded and internationally recognised graduate and post-graduate courses.

read more

ELICOS (English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students) is designed for international students who want to complete accelerated English courses in Australia.

read more
Student Visas

Obtaining an Australian Student Visa can provide you with many benefits. Besides the valuable knowledge from Australian Education Institutions and Improving your …

read more
How can we help you?

Contact us at the Amalsa head office or submit an enquiry online.

These people treat their clients as their sons, very friendly and patient to answer all my questions and make sure all my requests were satisfied. Very reasonable prices too. Thank you very much


Looking for a First-Class Migration Agents Consultant?