Skilled Sponsored Visa
Australian State & Territory Governments can sponsor highly skilled professionals under the Skilled Nominated (Subclass 190) Visa. State nomination can help you in meeting the requirements and eligibility under the current points system.
The Skilled Nominated Visa is a permanent residency skilled migration visa for people that can help filling the void in the Australian high demand occupations.
Applications for this visa are allowed only through the SkillSelect system. In order to apply for this type of visa you must first submit an Expression of Interest through SkillSelect.
The basic requirements you need to meet to apply for the visa are:
- Be invited to apply.
- Be less than 50 years of age at the time of the invitation.
- Nominate an occupation from the Skilled Occupation List.
- Have suitable skill assessment for your nominated occupation.
- Have a minimum competent level of English (at least six on each of the four components on the IELTS Test).
- At least 60 points on the point test
- Meet the health and character requirements
Invitations for the Skilled Nominated (Subclass 190) visa application are based on the claims made in the EOI and having a relevant State or Territory Government Nomination. After receiving an invitation from the Job Type of Immigration and Citizenship you have 60 days to submit your application online with all the supporting documents or the invitation will lapse. The documents must be relevant and support the claims made in the EOI.
Your partner, dependent children or relatives (if dependant) can also be included in your application.
The waiting period for obtaining the results of your visa applications are 12 months from the date of application, but in some instances it may take longer.
If you are granted a Skilled Nominated (Subclass 190) permanent visa, the following obligations must be met after starting your life in Australia:
- You must stay in the Sponsoring State or Territory for at least two years.
- You must report any changes of your address.
- You must complete five email surveys sent to you by email, that will help the Skilled Migration Program in the future.
From 1 July 2012, this visa has been subject to few changes. You can apply for this type of visa onshore or offshore if you’ve received an invitation from the Job Type of Immigration & Citizenship. There is no requirement that you hold a previous visa in order to send an Expression of Interest and the requirement for Australian Study and recent Australian work experience has been removed.
You can find the full list of changes applicable to this visa here.
The Skilled Nominated Visa is a Permanent Residency visa that allows the holder and any accompanying family members to live and work in Australia, study in Australia and sponsor family members for permanent residence. The holder also has access to certain social security and health-care payments after a certain waiting period.