Remaining near relatives (family members) to an Australian permanent resident, Australian citizen or eligible New Zealand citizen who lives in Australia, can migrate to Australia and apply for a Remaining Relative Visa.
All applicants must be sponsored by their close relative in Australia.
You can apply for this visa:
- if you are sister, brother, child, parent or step-equivalent (step-brother) to an Australian permanent resident, eligible New Zealand citizen or an Australian citizen;
- if you have assurance of support;
- the Australian resident must be your sponsor and be at least 18 years old;
- if you and your spouse don’t have any other relatives than those who live in Australia;
- if you are under 18 and have been adopted by an Australian permanent resident, Australian citizen or eligible New Zealand citizen, and your adoptive parent must have spent the required 1 year (12 months) living overseas with you.
Near relative is defined as a parent, sister, brother or step equivalent of the applicant or the applicant’s spouse, child (step child) of the applicant or the applicant’s spouse who is over and under 18 years.
Remaining Relative Visa – Subclass 835 (onshore) and Subclass 115 (offshore)
The general requirement for this type of visa is that you must be sponsored by an eligible relative (or the partner of your eligible relative) in Australia. You can apply if you and your spouse have no other sisters, brothers, parents and non-dependent children than those in Australia.
When applying for this visa you must meet the health and the character requirements. In the application you can include other family members or your partner, but only if they meet certain requirements.
With this visa you can:
- study and work in Australia;
- access some social security payments;
- receive healthcare trough the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme and the Medicare;
- sponsor other people for permanent residence.
- be eligible for Australian Citizenship.
The applicant must complete the application, pay the application charges and provide all required documents.
The sponsor or other supporting assurer must provide financial support to the applicant and all other family members that were included in the application for at least the first 2 years of residency in Australia, and must pay any recoverable social security payments made to the applicant or any other family members that accompanied the applicant.
When you apply for this visa you must pay a visa application charge that covers you and other family members included in the application. If your application is unsuccessful or if you decide to withdraw the application, the charge will not be refunded.
There are limited places for this type of visa, and there is a long processing queue. It is a low priority visa and in the Family visas range a higher priority is given to partner & child visas, as well as carer visa.
Applications can be made in or outside of Australia. We can assist you choosing the right visa to apply for, based on your personal circumstances and situation.