Prospective Marriage Visa

Prospective marriage visa (subclass 300) is a temporary visa valid for 9 months from the date it is granted.

This visa allows you to enter Australia and marry your prospective fiancé in the 9 month period while the visa is valid. After the marriage you will be eligible to apply for a partner visa in Australia.

The main purpose of this visa is to allow you to marry your intended spouse and live together as husband and wife.

To be eligible for this visa you and your partner(sponsor) must fulfill certain requirements:

  • You must be outside Australia when you apply for the visa and when the visa is granted.
  • Your partner must be either an Australian citizen, permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen.
  • Both you and your fiancé must be aged 18 years or older to be able to legally marry according to Australian law or in certain exceptions with an Australian Court order, you can be between 16 and 18 years old.
  • You must be of opposite sexes, same sex couples are no eligible for this visa subclass.
  • You and your intended spouse must have met in person, even in cases of arranged marriage.
  • You must meet the general health and character requirements.
  • You must genuinely intend to marry your fiancé and live as husband and wife.

If you are granted this visa, you:

  • Must enter Australia at least once before marrying your fiancé.
  • Can leave and re-enter Australia for as many times as you want in the nine-month period while your visa is valid.
  • Can work and study in Australia.
  • Can apply for a Partner Visa once you and your fiancé are legally married.

If you are granted a Prospective Marriage Visa, your marriage can take place either in or outside Australia, as long as you have entered Australia at least once before the marriage takes place. In addition, your marriage must occur within the nine-month validity period of your Prospective Marriage visa. If as holder of a prospective visa you do not marry your intended spouse, the visa expires after nine months and you would be required to return to your country of origin.

Dependent children or other family members can also be included in the application.

Your dependent children must be under the age of 18, or if over must be fully or substantially dependent on you for a substantial period of time (at least 12 months).

Dependent family members that are relying on you must also meet the health and character requirements.

If any of your circumstances change such as: you get married; you have a child with your fiancée, your relationship ends etc. you should immediately notify the office handling your application.

Following your marriage, as a holder of prospective marriage visa, you can apply for permanent residence through the two-stage Partner Visa process that includes a Temporary Partner Visa for 2 years followed by a Permanent Partner Visa.

All Partner Visas Applications

De-Facto Visa

To be able to apply for an Australian Partner Visa through the De-Facto Relationship Visa Stream you must be in a relationship with an Australian citizen …

read more
Marriage Visa

To be able to apply for an Australian Partner Visa you must be either married or in a de facto relationship with your partner at the time when you apply.

read more
Prospective Marriage Visa

Prospective marriage visa (subclass 300) is a temporary visa valid for 9 months from the date it is granted.

read more
Partner Visas

If you are married to an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen, plan to marry one, or you are in a in a relationship with one …

read more
How can we help you?

Contact us at the Amalsa head office or submit an enquiry online.

These people treat their clients as their sons, very friendly and patient to answer all my questions and make sure all my requests were satisfied. Very reasonable prices too. Thank you very much


Looking for a First-Class Migration Agents Consultant?