Studying English language (ELICOS): Temporary Visa (Subclass 570)

Assessment level 1, 2 and 3

ELICOS (English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students) is designed for international students who want to complete accelerated English courses in Australia. This includes:

  • Certificates I, II, II and IV course
  • Free Diploma  (no Australian award) courses

If you are planning to study under the ELICOS program, as preparation for another course, you must apply for an appropriate visa for your main course.

For example: if you are planning to study two or more courses, the main course is the highest level of education course that you will be required to apply for a visa.

Important! Before applying for the ELICOS Temporary Visa, you must be accepted by any educational institution as a regular student or in other words you must have an enrollment letter (COE).

Who ELICOS Visa is suitable for?

This visa can suite you if you wish:

  • To apply for student visa for the first time
  • To learn the English Language
  • To renew your current student visa

Opportunities this visa can provide?

This visa will allow you:

  • To study in Australia on temporary basis, until your course finishes
  • Your overseas dependents (spouse and children) can join you
  • Allow you to work in Australia for 40 hours per fortnight

Note: If your spouse wants to enroll in a course in Australia for three months or more, they must apply for a separate student visa. The application can be submitted in Australia.

What is your assessment level?

Your assessment level is determined by your current citizenship and enrolled course.

Do not supply original documents unless they are requested. Instead you should provide certified copies of original documentation. Non English documents must be translated and certified by accredited English translators.

Forms, fees and charges

  • For student visa application you should complete form 157A.
  • If you want to continue your studies in while in Australia you can apply online.
  • The current Visa Application Charge is $535 and permission to work is $75. The Visa Application Fees can be paid to the Job Type of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) by debit card, credit card, bank cheque or money order. For changes in the fees please see DIAC’s Student Visa Application Fees Page
  • Copies of all travel documents must be certified, and the passport must not be expired.
  • If you are in Australia and under 18, to apply for student visa you need to show evidence that appropriate arrangements are in place for your welfare at the time you lodge your application.

Personal Documents Required for ELICOS Visa Application

  • If you are applying in Australia you will need only one recent passport photo, and if you are overseas, you will need 4 recent sized passport photos (45mm x 35mm) for you and any other person included in the application.You can heck the photo requirements on this page.
  • Certified copies of birth certificates of your family members (including those not travelling with you), marriage certificate etc.
  • If you’re in de facto relationship, you should prove your relationship for at least 12 months. For example: billing accounts containing you and your partner’s names, joint bank account statements, photos etc.
  • If you are widowed or permanently separated with your partner, you should provide certified copies of separation or statutory declaration and divorce decree or the death certificate of the deceased partner.
  • If anyone included in the visa application has changed their name, you should provide certified copies of the documents verifying the name change.
  • If any child of the application is adopted, you need to provide certified document verification.
  • If your children are between 5 -18 years of age and are staying with you, you will need to provide a school enrollment proof, including paid fees invoices prior to your application.


Health Examination

On request, you may be required to provide one of these documents:

  • X-ray and medical examinations for yourself and other family members planning to travel with you.
  • Receipt or a booking number of Medibank, Private Health Cover for your medical examinations.
  • Evidence that you have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of your visa. Your visa expiry date will be determined by the expiry date of your OSHC.

Academic Documents

  • Confirmation of enrollment
  • Or letter of offer in an ELICOS course for no more than 40 weeks.

Financial Support Documents

You must supply evidence that you have sufficient funds to support yourself and your family for the first 24 months of stay in Australia for:

  • Living costs;
  • Tuition fees;
  • School fees for all school-age children;
  • Proof that you have access to sufficient funds to cover your travel costs, both ways.

Assessment level 4 and 5

From 5th of November 2011, all applicants for an Independent ELICOS (subclass 570) visa who are subject to Assessment Level 4 or 5 are no longer required to provide evidence for English language proficiency to support their visa application.

All Student Visas Applications

Post Graduate Visa

This is a basic requirement for each temporary or permanent visa. You must be of good character, with no police records in any of the previous countries you have lived in.

read more
Higher Education Visa

Australia has a great quality higher education system offering a wide range of highly regarded and internationally recognised graduate and post-graduate courses.

read more

ELICOS (English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students) is designed for international students who want to complete accelerated English courses in Australia.

read more
Student Visas

Obtaining an Australian Student Visa can provide you with many benefits. Besides the valuable knowledge from Australian Education Institutions and Improving your …

read more
How can we help you?

Contact us at the Amalsa head office or submit an enquiry online.

These people treat their clients as their sons, very friendly and patient to answer all my questions and make sure all my requests were satisfied. Very reasonable prices too. Thank you very much


Looking for a First-Class Migration Agents Consultant?